Monday 31 January 2011

Jan 31st

Sometimes I wonder how much one can thank to Mr. Fleming from Scotland for being able to continuing blogging for the pleasure and benefit of all. Naturally there are small issues around this larger one, such as over-prescription and the probable reality that someone else sooner or later would have come along with the same fingus. But at least we can thank the guy for thinking that intellectual property, patenting medicine was... hm, I may say the paint wouldn’t carry it, gently than: stupid and inhumane.

I haven’t had tonsillitis for a good four years but I used to have it rather regularly. One asks if penicillin wasn’t an easily accessible drug would I always have come out of it? The counterargument of course that if it wasn’t overprescribed would one truly need it all the time? There shall be a balance somewhere but imagine if Mr.Flemming from Scotland thought that he should have the rights over the formula for making such drug and now it would be one of the most expensive drugs available that the NHS or KELA or their equivalent wherever you are (now feel sorry for all those living in the USA) would prescribe such drugs as penicillin only very rarely if ever at all for the impossible price it costs.

I live on welfare, staying home with my small child, a student otherwise... overpopulation wouldn’t be a problem if all lifesaving drugs would be unavailable for the poor. There might be some grave moral issues in such a viewpoint. I study a course on UN peace and security, writing an essay on Rwanda, more precisely the UN’s failure there in 1994. Freakishly depressing topic. To cheer me up we watched the ‘Battle in Settle’ a movie made from the 1999 events around the WTO meeting there. It was a bit of a relief at the end of the movie but the prologue came... Somewhere around there in that movie was something about medicines.

And I had not made a political statement yet at this point therefore this blog is apolitical.

It is hard to break away from the above topic and write something cheerful about family life in Szeged and I don’t want to rant about the doctors again. Altough this one was funny, she practically interrogated me about life in Oulu and learning the language and all. Planning on leaving the city of sunshine for some greener, more peaceful pastures. While I excitedly told all the happiness life brings in Oulu she already knew what was my medical condition and sitting three meters away she was probably safe. For the sake of the conversation she could have taken her mask off.

No comments:

Post a Comment